Saturday, October 23, 2010

Topsy Turvey Over the Hill Skeleton Cake

So.... by now you know that my answer is always going to be "Sure, I can do that!" With that said... I took a call from a gal that I went to HS with some 20+ years ago, asking if I could make an Over the Hill cake for her husbands 50th Birthday.... My standard answers applies here.... :)

So, I asked some standard questions... with her answers I decided that since he LOVED fishing... and she LOVES Halloween and his birthday is this weekend... (one week before Halloween) I would create a Topsy Turvy Over the Hill Skeleton Cake.... The skeletons would be fishing for skeleton fish... really dark....

So my journey began... I made 3 - 10x2" cakes, 3 - 8x2" cakes and 3 - 6x2" cakes.... They wanted banana cake with banana filling... YUMMY!

I learned on this journey that I would not use the above combination in cake sizes again.... I would use larger than 10 and larger than 8 so that there is more stability... I also learned alot about my fondant skills... I had, on the second layer whats referred to in the baking world as "Elephant Skin"... I was horrified.... BUT.... this cake is dark and supposed to be beat up looking... so it actually worked to my advantage....

This cake was fun.... BUT... I did learn a lot of do's, don't's and changes.... : )

Take a look and let me know what you think....

Christa
CC's Cake Designs













No comments:

Post a Comment